Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cocoa Beach, Florida

To keep with the theme of me chatting with you about places that I love to visit, let me tell you about Cocoa Beach. If you want to stay right off the beach and Florida, but don't want to deal with a town that is too tourist-centered, you should check this place out. Not only are there many places to fish and boat (and see manatees while you're doing it) there is also a local beach where you can spend time in the sun along with golf courses and many shopping opportunities in town.


Not only does Cocoa Beach, Florida remind me of an awesome vacation spot and days on the beach I have spent there, it also has a more sentimental meaning for me. Growing up, for as long as I can remember, my grandparents lived in Cocoa Beach. I think about eating breakfast in their cozy apartment with a balcony overlooking a lake that connects right to the ocean every morning I woke up. I think about watching the manatees with my Oma, and my cousin catching a blowfish one day when fishing off the dock.

As a child, I wasn't able to visit my grandparents as often as I would have liked to. We sometimes talked on the phone but my family living in Maryland and then moving to Ohio was not optimal for us to be traveling all of the time. One day in middle school I found out that my Oma was sick and dying of cancer. As a young child, this was hard for me to comprehend, and the next time I was visiting Cocoa Beach it was to scatter my grandmother's ashes in the ocean, just as she wanted. Living in Cocoa Beach was such a big part of my grandparents' life; watching the manatees, sitting on the dock, watching the sunset from the balcony.


For more information on this quintessential beach town you can click here for more information on the town, or here.


Happy traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment